Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why I love Transy

So this past week, while busy, contained nothing worth mentioning to you all. So in the place of the usual blog, I am instead going to share with you a list outlining all of my favorite things about Transy. I am a bit hesitant to say them; I don't want you to think I am trying to sell the new wonder cleaner for only $19.95 here. I really do mean everything I say and, while it may be a bit corny, it is all completely true.

  1. The Size: I come from a small town and I hated it. I thought that a small college would come with the same cons a small town does, but it doesn't. Transy being small is nothing but a good thing. College can sometimes, especially at first, feel lonely. When you are at a small school, however, finding a familiar and friendly face is as easy as opening your door.
  2. The Organizations: Another college I was looking at during my college search boasted a lot about having 250+ clubs. Well, Transy doesn't have that many, but it does have several highly involved student organizations. What's great about them is the amount of involvement each member gets to have in them. Take for instance our student newspaper, the Rambler. I am lucky enough to get to write at least one (if not two) pieces for each issue (This is something I like doing, don't think to be a writer for the Rambler you must write this much). This allows me extra opportunities to practice my skill and get experience. At a bigger university staff writers for the campus newspaper would hardly get chances like that.
  3. The People: The people at Transy are amazing, and this means everyone. Students, Faculty and staff alike. Here in the Transy Bubble we all share this sort of bond that can't be explained. Doors are held open, we look each other in the eye, we smile, we wave, and we communicate effectively. There is such a sense of community amongst everyone here, and it really is one of Transy's biggest assets.
  4. The Name: This one is a bit silly, but I do love the name. It only adds to the sense of community I was talking about. No, the name never came into play at all when I was deciding on a college, but it is a nice bonus! I love the reactions and funny stories that are generated by our unique name.
  5. Philosophy: This one is a bit hard to explain as well. Something Transy talks a lot about (both to current and prospective students) is the Liberal Arts. It is a philosophy of education that Transy adheres to and it really shows. As a community, everything we do is educational. I love how Transy professors teach us how everything we learn can be connected and integrated.
  6. Lexington: I'll go ahead and say it: I hate horses. In fact, they even scare me a bit. So yes, I realize how odd it is that I love Lexington, The Horse Capital of the World. I do, though, and there is a lot more to this "little" city than horses. Lexington is the perfect balance of big and small. There is always something going on, but there is minimal hustle and bustle. The drivers here in Lexington may be the worst in the nation, but the people here are friendly and hospitable, without being nosey and annoying!

-Jake Hawkins

No comments: