Sunday, February 21, 2010

Missing Class

I remember the first class I missed. It was last semester on a Monday morning. I overslept for my 8:30am class. I panicked, and was quite upset about it. Every one kept telling me not to worry, that it wouldn't be the last class I missed, and it wouldn't be the end of the world. They were right.

Now, before going on I am am going to back up a bit. So far it sounds like I am telling you that it won't hurt at all to miss class. That is totally not true. Missing class still sucks, but thankfully Transy professors are very understanding as long as it doesn't become a habit.

On that same token there exists one of the prime "pros" of Transy. Professors at Transy notice. Unlike at other universities with rows upon rows of seating for hundreds of students, most classes at Transy take place in a circle around the professor. They notice when you are absent, and notice when you don't participate. This is amazing! I have talked to friends who went to other universities and they all tell me how hard it is sometimes to find the motivation to go to class. At Transy, every class is so small you can't miss class without a professor noticing. It is a lot harder to convince yourself that it is okay to miss class when you know the professor is watching.

I hear stories from friends at other universities about people never showing up to class on except for tests. This is crazy, and is not what college is supposed to be like and it isn't like that at Transy-- a fact that I am very proud of.

Sometimes emergencies happen, and professors understand that too. Last week I missed three classes because of medical issues. I have been dizzy a lot the past few months, and I had to have some tests run. I will also have to miss some this week for the very same reason. The professors have all been extremely understanding. I even missed a midterm for one class, and I still get to make it up. While missing class for these trips to the doctor has caused me to have to do some extra studying, and visit professors during office hours, it hasn't caused me that much inconvenience and I have been able to save the worry for other things.

On another note, the weather this weekend across Kentucky has been AMAZING. I hope you all were able to enjoy it.

Until Next Week,

Jake Hawkins

No comments: