Sunday, February 7, 2010

Outside of the Bubble

The Transy Bubble: I don't know if I have made the reference yet, but I know that other bloggers have. It is the term we use, both affectionately and otherwise, to refer to campus. Such a term exists because the phenomenon that it describes. We, as a Transy community, stick together very closely. Even though we are literally 10 seconds from downtown and all it has to offer, sometimes we operate as if 300 N Broadway wee a separate planet. This, however, isn't a bad thing-- at least in my opinion. I love the camaraderie that defines our campus. It is good, though, to sometimes step out of the proverbial bubble and explore the rest of Lexington.

On Friday afternoon a friend from high school, who goes to Eastern Kentucky University, came by for a visit. Originally we had planned to hang out in my dorm room and have a bit of a movie marathon, but on an impulse we decided to go shopping. The first stop on our trip, of course, was the Fayette Mall. For those who don't know, the Fayette Mall is amazing. I am from the Western Kentucky area and the only mall I had exposure to was Kentucky Oaks Mall in Paducah, KY. While good, it can't compare to the Fayette Mall. It is huge, has all kinds of shops, and is a great place to go and just hang out. While we were there I restrained myself for the most part: I did not purchase a Hermit Crab and accessories, though I was quite tempted, nor did I buy a new wardrobe at American Eagle or Macy's. In fact, the only purchase I made was at FYE-- I bought Season 4 of "Charmed" (My all time favorite TV Show). I couldn't resist it was on sale for $20 marked down from $40.

After we left the mall we stopped by Joseph-Beth Booksellers in Lexington Green. For my fellow book lovers out there this place is pretty awesome. It is a two level bookstore with very fair pricing, and it is independently owned, so there are no questions involved with Corporate Ethics that you may experience at other bookstores comparable in size.

All in all, it was a great outing. I wish I would have taken pictures! I don't leave the bubble often, I hardly need to. It is always nice to do it every once in a while, though. Anyways, that's all I have for this week. Good Luck to your favorite Super Bowl Team. I won't be watching, but I'll definitely be Youtubing the commercials tomorrow!

-Jake Hawkins

No comments: