Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Semester Gone...

My first blog post was titled "The Start of Something New" I don't think I could have put it better, now that my semester of college is over. I can't believe it, I really can't. It seems like not long ago I was a senior in High School eagerly anticipating the day that I would finally be a college student. Now, here I am a semester already under my belt. Yeah, I know one semester doesn't seem like much, but it is a dramatic life change.

One semester has brought me into a whole new world of experiences, new friends, new mentors, and, yes, new knowledge. My roommate and I had a conversation the other day about how, even though we have fallen into a routine and don't notice it, life is completely different than it used to be.

The differences of life, however, are not negative. While I do wish I still could throw my laundry in a hamper and not have to worry about how it got back into my closet clean, I wouldn't give up all the great experiences that independence brings just so I wouldn't have to do my own laundry.

It is also unbelievable how much I have learned. I can have a lengthy conversation about anything from Utilitarianism to the constant struggle of the individual versus society and vise-versa. I can talk about the etymology of the English words thanks to my Latin experiences, and I can take more from a news program after learning about framing, spinning, and other media tactics.

In less than 24 hours I leave the place know affectionately as "The Transy Bubble" for the longest time since I got here. I can't wait to be back in my hometown with family and just completely relax for a few weeks, but at the same time I am going to miss Transy, really miss it. Transy has become my home.

I hope you all have a great holiday. Eat plently, sleep a lot, have fun with friends, bond with family. For those High School seniors out there: enjoy it. Once scholl starts back in January it will be a race to graduation. This break will be your last chance to completely relax before Graduation.

Unless I have a great inspiration I probably won't write any blogs over the break. So this will be the last time I talk to you all this, well what do I say: semester, year, decade? Well, anyway, I will talk to you all again in January.

Until Then,

Jake Ryan Hawkins

No comments: