Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Work Study

Well, I must admit, I was hoping to get a few comments from you guys for suggestions on blog topics. Never fear, however, I am sure I will manage (feel free to suggest anything at anytime though!).

I hope you all had a good week, because I surely did. It was parent weekend on campus, and while it did not produce anything "blog worthy" it did give me a chance to spend some time with my family.

I am coming at you this week from my on campus Work-Study job at the library. The fact that I am blogging while at work should tell you something about the work environment. It is extremely relaxed. After all, it is called "Work-Study" for a reason-- they care just as much about you having study time as work time.

Work Study is offered only through the financial aid office, but can be filled at multiple places on campus (and, if interested, community service hours can even go toward paid work-study hours). Here at the Library I have a great time. I always work at night, so it is a perfectly quite place to study. It isn't all free time, though. I do have to help people find books, check them out, return them, and all the other things associated with the Library.

To be honest, if it weren't for my work-study here I think I would have a much harder time budgeting my time. Work Study helps me have a set time and place to study.

As for the money, you get paid once a month, and for most people the check is somewhere around $200. It is enough money to last me a month, but if you do a lot of extra stuff a supplementary "call home" may be in order.

In another note, I am already in the Christmas spirit. I saw the new "A Christmas Carol"(in 3D) this weekend with my parents. After seeing it I had to go out and buy a mini Christmas tree for my dorm room and I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I have already put it up. I love it though, and have to share the picture (taken with my cameraphone so excuse the poor quality).

No comments: