Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let's Pause and Take a Blog Break...

Hey Guys! I hope some of you all got a chance to come to open house. It was a great turnout and I got to talk to several prospective students and their families. I greatly enjoyed it and I hope you all did too!

It has been pretty hectic on this end lately, in a good way, though. I haven't felt too incredibly overwhelmed, but I have had to budget my time very tightly. That's not to say I haven't had fun though! I am involved with a lot of campus groups and, while they may take up some time, they are very fun and rewarding! So I figured this was a great time to mention a few.

First, there is The Rambler. It is our student newspaper on campus. I am a Staff Writer and have had the opportunity to write some really awesome pieces. For ky first article I got to interview a pretty famous (or infamous depending on your politics) person, Cindy Sheehan. I wont go into too much detail about her, but it was pretty awesome to think that the person I was interviewing had also been interviewed by television journalists like Matt Lauer, Bill O'Reilly, and Chris Matthews (The picture to the right shows NBC's Brian Williams talking about Sheehan). In fact, only two weeks after our interview she was on CNN for a protest she was leading in D.C.! I still ramble (no pun intended) about how my first ever story was such a great oppurtunity.

Another organization I am proud to be a member of is Transy's SGA (Student Government Association). I am a senator, representing the first-year class, and absolutely love it. I am a guy who has political aspirations, so this is a great starting point to learn the basics of representation. I serve on the Student Life committee as well, so I have the honor of making sure that students are as happy as possible with the non-academic aspects of college. A week ago a fellow senator and I took part in Storm the Dorms. Which involves senators going door-to-door and asking feloow classmates about aspects of college life they would like to see changed. It was a great experience not only to talk to my fellow classmates about things on their mind, but I appreciate the part SGA will be playing in improving our campus.

An organization that I recently joined, but have enjoyed immensely is Crimson Crew (and I overslept this morning and missed my scheduled time slot to work! So so sorry guys!). Crimson Crew members work, on a volunteer basis, in the admissions office. For someone who loves Transy as much as I do it is an absolutely rewarding experience to play a part in getting the word out about Transy. In addition, we get to be around all of the admissions counselors who are, without a doubt, some of the funnest and coolest people to be around.

Those are just three of the many many clubs and organizations on campus. If you want to see the complete list just click here. (Yay for figuring out how to hyperlink!)

BUT before you go, I have an assignement for you! I need your help coming up with some things to blog about. I mean, I have a whole list of topics I would like to talk about, but this is about what you want to see, after all. So, if you would be so kind, please just drop me a comment with a question you may have about some aspect of campus life and I am sure I can include it in the next few blogs.

Until then,

Jake Ryan Hawkins

No comments: