Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Not an ordinary school

Happy February! I hope all is well with you guys. Things have been great here, busy as always, but still pretty awesome.

I know I told you all about my schedule this semester, but my entire post this week is about my classes so I'm going to tell you again. All my classes are on Tuesday and Thursday and last for 1 and 15 minutes each. I have Human Rights, Rhetorical Criticisms, Introduction to Sexuality, and Popular Fictions.

These classes seem pretty different, but you would be extremely surprised at how much overlap there is. I know that I have explained the term "Liberal Arts" before, but to those who haven't followed along it essentially means interdisciplinary learning for the sake of learning. Transy adheres to that philosophy, and takes it pretty seriously. This has really became evident in my classes this semester.

One day last week, my readings in all four classes were so interrelated I couldn't keep them separate. In Human Rights we were discussing the Catholic Church's role in human rights in Spain. In Rhetoric we were talking about the communication practices of oppressed groups. In Intro to Sexuality we were talking about the Catholic Church's role on same sex marriage in Spain, and in Pop Fiction we were discussing the hidden sexuality message in the novel Dracula.

Can you say wow? I literally caught myself citing the reading from different courses on that day, and stuff like this keeps happening. My classes today fell outside of the realm of ordinary today as well. In Rhetoric we did a narrative criticism of the video game "Medal of Honor: Rising Sun." That means we literally spent over an hour talking about a video game. Then in Intro to Sexuality we watched an episode of "Sex and the City" and next class session we'll be watching "The Bachelor."

Obviously, classes at Transy can be extremely interesting. When you learn for the fun of it the topics you discuss can mirror that level of fun pretty easily.

No comments: