Sunday, April 11, 2010

FLA

Another week, another blog. I can't believe it has been as long as it has. This coming week is the last week of classes for my second term as a Transy student! Which means only a week left of FLA.

FLA, or Foundations of Liberal Arts, is a two-part class that all Transy students must take. Your first semester of Transy is spent with FLA 1 as a class-- you are randomly assigned a professor and classmates, and all sections of FLA 1 are essentially the same. This semester is devoted to writing three formal, but still somewhat short, pieces.

Your second semester you pick a FLA 2 topic, and there are a lot of pretty interesting things to pick from. My FLA 2 topic is Consumerism, Desire, and Identity. Other topics include a study on the paranormal, there is one on Fairy Tales, the American Civil Rights movement, and there is even one on the Lord of the Rings (Still no Harry Potter topic yet, sadly...)

FLA 2 revolves around writing a 12-15 page research paper and presenting it to your peers. You get to decide on your research topic yourself, as long as it fits the broader topic of your FLA 2 section. My research paper is on Disney and its effects on the identity of viewers. It has been a very interesting topic to research.

FLA gets some pretty mixed reviews from students, and I'm not going to lie the class can be pretty frustrating. Most of my late nights have been devoted to FLA assignments. Even though the course is tough and at times I want to curse its very existence I do know that it is preparing me for upper level classes to come where I will be begging for another FLA assignment. I really am thankful that Transy devotes two classes to prepare us for a college career full of writing.

No comments: